Jim Martin Q and A

Our faithnomoreblog counterparts scored a major coup with their fans’ Q and A with former Faith No More guitarist Jim Martin.
Read the full interview here.

Here’s some choice bits:
“My publicized “not being into” Angel Dust was all about the way the whole process went down. There was a lot of weird pressure to follow up The Real Thing, and as a consequence, the album AD was more contrived musically than I thought was necessary. I wanted more of the record to happen in the studio and Bill wanted every last tack nailed down before we went in. I wanted to spend time with it, management and the record company wanted to rush it out the door. There were a bunch of journalists in the studio. We were paying for a bunch of sampling that we could have created. Matt Wallace was calling me on the phone complaining about Mike Patton’s performance. Management and record company were calling me complaining about Mike Patton’s performance and desire for outside projects.
The record company president came in the studio and said: “I hope nobody bought houses” All the air got sucked out of the room. That was one of those great moments when reality slaps you in the face. Some of my associates (had) bought houses. The pressure was on, and everyone wanted to be in the studio with me while I recorded, endlessly tinkering and fucking with me and fucking with Matt, and Matt is a really fucking wound up guy already. Prior to AD, I would work alone with Matt and his assistant engineer period. I had to kick everyone out and even though it was not a new concept it really pissed everyone off.”

“I am happy AD is regarded in a positive way. It is an affirmation of the legacy we all worked to create. I am aware that some of the newer bands I actually like have referred to FNM as an influence. I am also aware AD was on the Kerrang! Most influential albums List of 2003. Is it an artist’s affirmation? That’s fine. Am I surprised? I don’t think anyone can be expected to anticipate something like this.”

“I remember hearing some of the music a long time ago but I didn’t really study it. I remember thinking it was heavily reliant on Mike. As for other persons playing my music, I don’t really believe anyone could book a show as FNM without playing my music.”

This entry was posted in Faith No More and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Jim Martin Q and A

1. Billy G Is Not My Lover says:

Wow. Does anyone know the back-story behind Billy’s message at the start?

There was some controversy because after a few updates that Jim was putting a lot ot time into writing his answers, eventually, the people that run the blog posted on the facebook page that they felt that it dug up too much old dirt and decided not to publish. There was outrage. Bill intervened and said that the fan’s had a right to hear Jim’s side of old stories. The blog apologized and published the interview, stating that it is the interview in total without any edits, which I do believe. But most everyone is confused about why they didn’t publish it in the first place, there isn’t any really controversial statements, except maybe Matt Wallace insinuating in the past that Jim was against Roddy’s being gay (which I had read in a past interview and was glad that Jim defended himself against). I am the one that asked the question about Jim being unhappy on the AD tour and am glad that he put so much thought into all of his answers. I think the whole band was really bad at dealing with the press back then and were poor communicators with each other. As far as the reunion, it seems that they didn’t really include Jim in the decision, which alot of fans would have preferred, however, I personally love Jon and don’t mind the band picking up where they left off to repair those relationships instead of going back even further. I was glad that they brought Chuck on at the Warfield and think having Jim perform some albums like Trey did would be the most appropriate thing to do…Jon is the band’s guitarist afterall.

3. Billy G Is Not My Lover says:

Thanks for the reply! I asked because the way they’ve printed it, it sort of looks like Bill had the interview pulled and then changed his mind after the outcry – I’m glad that’s not the case.

I can’t see why they didn’t publish it, the only people who really come off badly are Matt Wallace and the music press. The band don’t really get much of a mention (apart from some ‘THEY’RE NOT THE REAL FNM WITHOUT ME!!’ type stuff towards end).

4. Edward says:

Thanks for the great interview.
    I too wish Jim had done some gigs in the reunion tour, but as Ben points out Hudson is the guitarist and that’s what matters as a whole.

5. Pete says:

Thank you for saying that Jon is the guitarist.
    They broke up without Jim and reformed without him.
    Not only that, they wrote 2 great albums without him and had
    3 guitarists without him. Not really understanding the issue
    with him not being on the tour. Guest appearances would
    have been cool but anything more than that wouldn’t make sense.

No disrespect to Jim. I love the guy but he is fully capable of writing
    music and making his mark outside of FNM.

6. Sonny B says:

Album of The Year was… meh.

Anyway, it was nice to finally hear of the one and only Jim Martin.

7. capt. midnight says:

Well put Sonny B. Faith No More are my favourite band but, much like Metallica after Cliff Burton passed away, they were never the same after Jim left. Roddy havinig less input in the songwriting didn’t help either. Angel Dust will always be their high point.

8. Pete says:

I think AOTY is far from “meh”. Not their best but some great songs on that album and a couple of filler songs.
    For me, if I’m stuck on a island with one FNM album, it’s hands down King for a Day. A perfect range of emotions and styles on that work well together. I can listen to that album anytime.

Would love to see Bungle back together too.

9. KingCol says:

Angel dust is defenatly their high point but they followed that up wit 2 superb albums that most bands could never produce..

We wouldn’t b having this discussion if angel dust wasn’t such a fanFUCKINtastic album

10. Chris T says:

I’m a huge fan of Jim’s playing and while I find the last two FNM albums without him to be great, I think the band did losing something distinct when he left. He just had a particular sound (for instance, his solos in “Anne’s Song” and “The Cowboy Song” or his tones in “Faster Disco”) that I always kind of missed on those last two albums.

You said it Chris T, Faster Disco soars…I love the live sound of Jim’s guitar on the old bootlegs where they played it….and yep, he played that Anne’s Song solo just as good live too. I’d love if someone shared the bootleg where he played “The Grade” live, not a fav song or anything, but would be interesting to hear it live.